THE JAC COACH LEVEL 1 QUALIFICATION
The Joint Aikido Council (JAC) is committed to the education of Aikido teachers within a progressive pathway that supports the development of coaches from JAC Level 1 through to JAC Level 3.
The JAC Level 1 Coach qualification is the first step along this pathway.
This qualification allows instructors of JAC member organisations to conduct training sessions under the direct supervision of instructors holding Coach Level 2 qualifications or higher.
To ensure the suitability of candidates for the JAC Level 1 coaching qualification, the following criteria must be met. The candidate must:
- Hold full current Membership of a Joint Aikido Council member association
- Be 18 years of age or over
- Hold a minimum grade of 1st Kyu
- Have a good knowledge of their association's kyu grade syllabus
Online Learning Programme
In addition to studying the material presented here, the Coach Level 1 online learning programme comprises three additional components, all of which must be completed to a minimum standard. They are
- Assessment questions (i.e. module quizzes).
- Three written assignments.
- A practical assessment.
The practical assessment will require the candidate to deliver a 15-30 minute Aikido class according to a previously prepared lesson plan.
Candidates must study the online course material, complete module online assessment questions and submit the specified assignments two weeks in advance of the practical assessment date.
Course fee £40.00 - payment must be received with application form.
Assignments and online assessments
Assignments and online assessments as identified in the course specification are to be completed and submitted two weeks before the practical assessment day.
- Completed portfolio tasks will be assessed by the course tutor and returned during practical assessment day
Any tasks a candidate is unable to complete should be submitted to the Coach Education Administration no later than 6 months after the course application date, otherwise the candidate will need to repeat the course programme.
The Joint Aikikai Council is committed to the education of Aikido teachers within a progressive pathway which supports the development of coaches from JAC Level 1 through to JAC Level 3.
The JAC Level 2 in Coaching Aikido is the second step along this pathway.This is the online version of the learning programme for the JAC Level 2 Coaching qualification.On completion of this material there is the requirement for an assessment of a teaching session by the candidate at the candidates dojo or another suitable location.This may be delivered via live video streaming.
This course develops and builds upon Level 1 Coaching qualification's coaching skills, technical principles of Aikido, health and safety, and practitioner development.
To ensure the suitability of candidates participating in the JAC Level 2, the following pre-requisite criteria must be met. The candidate must:
1. Hold full current Membership of a Joint Aikido Council member association
2. Be 18 years of age or over
3. Hold a minimum grade of 1st Dan
4. Have good knowledge of their associations Kyu and Dan Grade Syllabus
5. Have held the JAC level 1 coaching award for a minimum of one year.
Learning Programme and Assessment Detail
- Course fee £50.00
– payment must be received with the application for online study
- Portfolio Tasks to be completed and submitted two weeks before assessment day
- A scheme of work for a 10-12 week Aikido programme
- Health and Safety task – preparing a facility for a training session
- Tasks which don’t meet expected standards should be re-submitted within 6 weeks of original assessment date.
- Completed portfolio tasks will be assessed and graded by
the organisation's course tutor
- Any tasks unable to be completed should be submitted to the Coach Education Administration within 6 months of the course date. Otherwise the candidate will need to resit the course and assessment.
Award Requirements (current)
In addition to attending a JAC Level 2 Aikido Coach learning programme, completing the assessment and completing portfolio tasks, the candidate will require having in place the following before receiving their JAC Level 2 in Coaching Aikido Award:
- Full current Membership of a Joint Aikido Council member association
On completion of the award requirements the JAC Level 2 coach will be able to:
- Deliver unsupervised Aikido sessions
- Oversee/mentor a JAC level 1 coach